You have successfully created the website you always dreamt of for your business. It is also drawing in lots of traffic; across Australia, your business is growing, and the sales are increasing steadily, so now you plan to extend the site. You are eager to add more features, launch marketing campaigns to target more audiences. But you are stuck with the shared web hosting solution, which is crippling your ambition to grow big and struggling to meet your business demands.
It is hence time to upgrade the web hosting solutions. It is time for you to invest in a VPS hosting plan, a fully managed service that will give you most of the freedom that dedicated server hosting offers. A few years ago, the option to move from shared web hosting to a better option was to invest in a dedicated server hosting for your website. But no longer is that the case with VPS at your disposal. A managed VPS hosting is a hybrid solution that combines the best features of shared and dedicated hosting services.
This article will look into Virtual Private Server (VPS) benefits, when and why you should opt for it. Also, we will discuss how the Hosting VPS Server works and how it helps a website and eCommerce, and ways to find the best Australian VPS service.
Virtual Private Server Hosting
Let’s begin with what Virtual Private Server Hosting is precisely and how it is different from other hosting solutions available in the market. But before we go into the details of how VPS hosting is different from the hosting services, let’s briefly look into what VPS is.
If we put it in plain words, VPS hosting is a service where the host uses a single physical server to run multiple virtual servers. Each of these virtual servers is, however, isolated from the other. This method is accomplished with a hypervisor’s help, a software that enables the physical server segmentation—the partitioning facilities keep each virtual server private and separate from the other.
Furthermore, each VPS is a fully managed system with its own operating system independent of the other OS. This feature hence gives the illusion of having an independent server. The separate operating system that VPS offers can be fully managed by the user and can be rebooted independently of all the other servers running within the same physical server. The added advantage of this characteristic of VPS is that it offers a 99.9 uptime guarantee of a website.
Now that we have a general idea of what VPS hosting is, let’s go through the different types of web hosting services available in the market. It will give you an idea of why managed VPS hosting is one of the most sought-after services by many businesses in Australia.
Different Types Of Server Hosting
Different businesses require different hosting server solutions to ensure that the websites perform to the optimum level. It is the technical process through which the website is made accessible to the audience on the Internet. Since web hosting is an essential element in powering your business online and with plenty of choices, it can be intimidating. So let’s take a look into different kinds of server-hosting platforms.
6 Types of Web hosting
In the market, there are typically five types of web hosting facilities available. They are:
In this, several websites are hosted on the same server that is not compartmentalized. The service provider will make certain resources available to you, which will be shared with other users using the server. Typically the resources made available in shared hosting are:
Some service provider offers add-on features like:
- free domain name
- security and malware scan
- cPanel (User-friendly control panel)
- Integrated website builder
- Auto backups
While this is a cheap server hosting solution for your business, but with resources being shared, the chances are the website’s speed can go down.
As the name mentions Virtual Private, it means you get private hosting services like RAM, CPU, and bandwidth, which you do not have to share with others. The word virtual translates into the fact that the physical server (the parent machine) is partitioned into a virtual machine. It is like renting a flat in a multi-storied building. Some of the features offered by VPS are:
- Dedicated server space
- Better scalability and stability
- You get the root access to the server
- You can install any software
- Less expensive than dedicated server
3.Dedicated Server Hosting
You have exclusive rights to the webserver as the name suggests and full control of the environment. The service allows you to handle extensive traffic inflow while you are responsible for keeping the server well maintained and secured. Furthermore, you have the option to have a fully managed server or an unmanaged dedicated server. In case you opt for the latter, then you need to have a server technology expert as you will be responsible for:
- installing the operating system like Linux or Windows
- For running the operation, adding necessary tools
- Ensure your infrastructure is protected by building a security perimeter
While it is one of the most expensive hosting solutions, it offers the following benefits:
- Customisation of the server
- Full access and control of the hosting server
- Better security and privacy
- Guaranteed availability of resources
- Website performance that is stable and predictable
This type of hosting can be categorised into a subtype of hosting solution, where a managed service is provided that helps with the infrastructure support of the server, website, the dedicated, shared, or VPS hosting plan, and at times even hardware maintenance and management. There are several options or services available in the managed hosting.
- on-premise data centre management
- cloud hosting management
- Managed VPS hosting
- Shared hosting management
For a larger business, the managed hosting offers:
- management of on-premise datacenter
- all web apps are hosted and ensure standard setups
- consolidate legacy server resources
- data backup
- data storage
- ensure disaster recovery plans
- sensitive data is stored separately
- offer 24/7 customer support
- in certain regions reduce latency
5.Managed WordPress Hosting
One of the most in-demand content management platforms among business owners offers source solutions and has a self-hosting feature. It requires some up-keeping that needs to be taken care of by you like:
- website’s performance
- loading speed is high for the website
- ensure plug-ins are updated regularly
- regular version updates and security patches
- regular scans of anti-malware
- Everyday backup of the website
In the last few years, cloud hosting and cloud computing gained quite a popularity. The cloud hosting solution enables the user to access computing resources on-demand, they are typical:
- Security services
Like VPS, you can rent a part of the cloud hosting service to run the website application. The features used in cloud hosting offer quite many benefits, and it is not an exclusive service. As an owner of a website, you can opt for VPS with cloud hosting. Some of the benefits of cloud hosting are:
- latency reduction
- increase in resource availability
- downtime on one server does not affect your website
- instant and cost-effective scalability
- uptime is higher
- Access to the latest and best hardware
- Enhanced security
- Resources pooling
- Pricing is Pay-per-use
For any self-hosting websites, web hosting solutions are essential, so you can handle website traffic. With website hosting, you can offer a better experience to web visitors.
Hosting VPS Server
When you are deciding to select a web hosting plan, and if you are already using a shared hosting plan and thinking of migrating to a different plan, it is time you might consider hosting a VPS server. Some questions you might ask when considering hosting a VPS server is would you opt for a particular Linux operating system or need WebHost Manager and individualized cPanel account?
The jump from shared hosting to VPS is relatively easy, but learning to do it can be a bit tricky, mainly if you have never done it before. But you can follow these next five steps to start your VPS hosting:
- Getting the knowledge of the process of logging into the VPS through the Secure Shell (SSH) access.
- Know how to update your server
- A new user needs to be created and modify the privileges
- Authentication of the public key needs to be enabled
- You have to set up the firewall for the VPS
While you can configure hosting your own VPS website, we recommend that you opt for managed hosting plans, mainly if you are new to this.
With managed VPS hosting, the service provider will take care of all the requirements that you need. They will be the ones who will be the web hosts with SSD storage. In managed hosting, you will have the option for Windows or Linux VPS and a Cpanel that is easy to use.
The host will be responsible for ensuring the core updates, software installation, and maintenance while you can concentrate on your business. Leaving the technicalities of VPS to the experts will ensure you have no worries about the server.
VPS hosting for website
If you have a website and want to have the option of customization, downloading software and application, and the flexibility that dedicated hosting offers at a cost-effective price like shared hosting without having any downtime, then you should look into VPS.
- It is a low costing solution for your small and medium-size business where you do not have to take the financial burden of dedicated hosting and manage it. Without spending much, you have the option to run applications that you select on the server.
- You have complete control of the server section that you are paying for. The server’s t virtualisation makes it a private one despite sharing the main machine with several other users. You have the complete freedom to run any application you want.
- VPS performs independently despite the same server sharing y others physically. You have your own dedicated CPU, storage, memory, and bandwidth, while dedicated resources in the planned hosting.
- The efficient portability of VPS makes it one of the most in-demand hosting services. VPS can be combined with Cloud hosting and cloud computing. Then the server can be managed and accessed from anywhere while you have the option to upgrade or downgrade it as per your requirement without facing any downtime.
- The security offered by VPS is like having your own dedicated server. All the files and data hosted by VPS are put in a secured position and not available to anyone else but you.
Apart from these, VPS has dynamic scalability, and you can also enjoy the on-demand new servers when required. VPS understands the volatility of small businesses and eCommerce and has been developed to help them, thus offering eCommerce sites quite a few advantages, as discussed in the next section.
VPS hosting for eCommerce
In case you are in an eCommerce business and experiencing heavy traffic flow or want to take it to the next level, it is time you consider opting for a hosting service. But it is quite confusing whether to go for shared hosting or VPS, and it is a decision that should not be taken casually. The reason being your website is the heart of your business. Hence we recommend you opt for VPS. The following reasons might help you understand why VPS is the right hosting solution for your eCommerce site.
- Shared hosting has its limitation as you would not be able to get the unlimited resources you might need to run your programs.
- You can avoid a shared SSL certification, which you have to share in shared hosting. In eCommerce, having a secured connection between the server and client is a must. So it will seem very unprofessional to your customers when the SSL certificate will not match your business domain name.
- VPS ensures that your site has the loading speed needed to keep your customers happy since you get the RAM you have paid for.
- The virtualisation of the VPS software ensures that your site is stable and without any hiccups while you have your dedicated resources for the eCommerce business site.
- You get the space that you have paid for, hence no worry about running out of space. If you want, you can have unlimited space with VPS.
- At times to install some programs, you will need root access, and VPS gives you that.
Despite so many benefits, it is cost-effective and easy to scale.
VPS blocks help in virtualising the environment of the server by working with the IT service. Virtualisation simplifies the infrastructure while increasing online uptime, reducing the complexities, and ensuring security while saving money. Whether you are running a small business and experiencing a great deal of traffic or a significant business but do not want to spend that hefty money on a dedicated server, VPS is the solution for you as it marries the benefits of a shared server and the dedicated server.